The chapel of St Francis Xavier, designed by John Dobson, was built in 1820. Above the altar there is a large oil painting “The Descent of Our Saviour from the Cross”, painted in 1824 by the Flemish artist J.S. Verillin. It is a copy of the central panel of Rubens’ tryptich which lies in Antwerp Cathedral. The chapel was later remodelled by Joseph Hansom in 1860 and the present altar built.